While Waterloo Uncovered can provide some support through our Serving Personnel and Veterans Programme, there are other organisations that can help:
Other archaeological opportunities for Serving Personnel and Veterans:
- Breaking Ground Heritage organise regular excavations in the UK to facilitate a recovery pathway for injured service personnel and veterans. http://www.breakinggroundheritage.org.uk/
- Operation NIGHTINGALE (Defence Archaeology Group) aims to provide military personnel or veterans, particularly the wounded, injured and the sick with new skills and confidence through the participation in practical archaeology. http://www.dag.org.uk/
- Operation NIGHTINGALE USA promotes the well-
being of Wounded Warriors through field archaeology. http://www.opnightingaleusa.com/
- Operation Nightingale Heritage work with injured veterans, schools, colleges, the probation service, community groups etc, using archaeology to empower participants.https://www.opnightingaleheritage.com/
- Heritage Heroes is a joint partnership between Help for Heroes and Canal and River Trust, funded by the People’s Postcode Lottery, to restore four canal-side locations and offers wounded, injured and sick the chance to gain new skills and qualifications in the process. https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/get-support/recovery-programme/canal-heritage-heroes/
Other charities providing support:
A number of UK charities provide support for serving personnel, veterans, and their families. We have listed a few below.
You can also consult Veterans' Gateway (https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk/) who provide a first point of contact for veterans (and their families) seeking help, and whose website contains both a large list of charities who can help, and a self help tool for information and advice on a range of subjects including housing, finances and mental wellbeing.
ABF The Soldiers' Charity give a lifetime of support to soldiers and veterans from the British Army, and their immediate families, when they are in need.
Help for Heroes supports Serving and Reservist Personnel and Veterans who have suffered injuries or illness as a result of their service to the Nation. The Charity also helps their close family and dependents.